Saturday, March 26, 2011

We are LITERAL'S!

lit·er·al

–adjective
1.
in accordance with, involving, or being the primary or strict meaning of the word or words; not figurative or metaphorical: the literal meaning of a word.
2.
following the words of the original very closely and exactly: a literal translation of Goethe.
3.
true to fact; not exaggerated; actual or factual: a literal description of conditions.
4.
being actually such, without exaggeration or inaccuracy: the literal extermination of a city.
5.
(of persons) tending to construe words in the strict sense or in an unimaginative way; matter-of-fact; prosaic.
 
There are days when I sit back and look at my son and see a clear description of why I am on this earth.  It is like having my very own personal trainer to the gates of Heaven.  I always say that I am a work in progress.  My teacher (Channer) is very successful in teaching me how to look at life differently and appreciate the small things.  He teaches me as if I were blind (literally) to use my five senses and sometimes that sixth sense that hides quietly behind my initial thoughts.  
 
For example, he is determined to break me of a bad habit of using the word "crap".  Yes, this is a vice of mine and when I take a second look, as Channer often forces me, this is not a nice word.  As I am piling Channer's belongings into my hands to walk inside the school building....he throws his gator-aide bottle on top of my already heavy pile as he walks with little to nothing in his hands.  I fuss "I can't hold all of your CRAP Channer, you could help mom out a little!".  He turns to me with his very serious face and says "That gator-aide is not crap mom, it's hydration".  In the last couple of months he makes me think twice as I say that word because he clearly see's that the literal meaning of that nasty adjective could be put to better use.  He would prefer I say feces or hydration in the two instances where he has called me out on the way I chose my words.  Just as God has intended us to literally look at his Word and believe the "literal" meaning. 
 
My son is a walking light of God.  I am very blessed and some would say lucky to have a walking encyclopedia by my side at all times.  Literally speaking.  Sometimes I get clouded and try to find reasons, explanations, and get analytical to make myself feel better while going through trying times. All the while, the answers are right here in my face.  I am to stop trying so hard to make these "little things"  (literally speaking) that God has given me to endure and focus on the bigger picture.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment